Main Menu :
| Li Read
| Business Card
| Listings Portfolio
| Gulf Islands
| Real Estate Network
| Send E-Mail
Gulf Islands :
| Salt Spring
| Other Islands
Other Islands :
James Island is located beside Sidney Island. James Island is 315 hectares in
First settled in the 1870's by farm families. These early settlers named the
island after James Douglas, Governor of Vancouver Island, circa 1853. Made the
official name by Captain Richards of the HMS Plumper in 1858.
James Island served, in the early 1900's, as a private hunting ground for
Victoria sportsmen including then British Columbia Premier Richard McBride,
whom served between 1903 and 1915.
In 1913, Canadian Explosives Ltd, later called Canadian Industries Ltd,
established a dynamite plant on the island. At its peak, the plant employed
800 people, most of whom lived in a small village on the island. During World
War II, the plant produced 900 tonnes of TNT per month for the war effort.
In 1962, the plant closed. In 1979, the plant and the village were
disassembled and removed from the island.
Today, there is a Jack Nicklaus designed golf course, six cottages, seaplane
ramp, 792.48 metres runway, and commercial-grade dock, that can accommodate large
Contact Li Read at Sea to Sky Premier Properties (Salt Spring), 4 - 105 Rainbow Road, Salt Spring Island, BC, V8K 2V5; Direct Tel: 1-250-537-7647