Main Menu :
| Li Read
| Business Card
| Listings Portfolio
| Gulf Islands
| Real Estate Network
| Send E-Mail
Gulf Islands :
| Salt Spring
| Other Islands
| Driftwood Centre
| Hope Bay
| Otter Bay Marina
| Port Browning Harbour
| Port Washington
| Slide Show
Pender is actually two islands, a North and a South island. Before 1911, the islands were
joined by an isthmus. In 1911, a channel was dug, to allow boats to pass at high tide.
Since 1955, the two islands have been joined by a man-made bridge. This make the two
Penders unique as they are the only Gulf Islands connected by a bridge. Over time the
two islands have come to be referred to as one island.
Pender Island was discovered by Francisco-Eliza, commandant at Nootka, circa 1791, and the
island went by the name of Sayas or San Eusbio, depending on the map. Finally in November
1857, it was named after Captain Daniel Pender R.N. of the H.M. surveying vessel
The two islands of Pender, together, are 24 sq km, and have a combined population of about
Pender Island is one of two hub islands for the Gulf Islands ferry routes. It enjoys good
service not only to the Mainland, Vancouver Island, and the other Gulf Islands. Pender is
one of the islands to enjoy cable TV service in selected areas, and there is also the
option of satellite links. There is an 18 hole golf course on North Pender
In Bedwell Harbour, at Poets Cove, there is one of the Customs entry points for U.S.
boaters & returning Canadians entering Canadian waters.
Points of Interest on Pender Island
Bedwell Harbour & Poets Cove
Otter Bay Marina
Port Browning Harbour
For more details on the Pender Island, and the real estate opportunities,
please contact Li Read.
|Pender Island Bridge
||Pender Island Channel
||Pender Island Bridge
Contact Li Read at Sea to Sky Premier Properties (Salt Spring), 4 - 105 Rainbow Road, Salt Spring Island, BC, V8K 2V5; Direct Tel: 1-250-537-7647